Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009

Introduction from telepath


I've been fascinated by 3D printing ever since I read about Fab@Home some years ago. Just a few weeks ago some impulse made me look up the topic again, and I noticed that the project was as cool as I remembered, and by now you can even buy a fully assambled Fab@Home, but it's still much too expensive to make one myself.
(picture from fab@home wiki)



But I also found an article (german) which mentioned another project which they called "not so advanced", the reprap.
So I had a look around the wiki and was astonished, it's SO much simpler and cheaper than the Fab@Home. And since the article was from 2006, the "not so advanced" project was much more mature by now, with the mendel just being released.
(picture from reprap wiki)

Since then I was certain that I would follow the project, but as any hobby it's boring to do it alone, so I told my friends about it and one of them, Alex, was just as enthusiastic as me (well, maybe not quite as much), and so I got a good friend on board who has experience with atmel chips and stepper motors and who has been tinkering with a small mill for wood and circuit boards.
By now we have ordered all the parts for the electronics and mechanics for two mendels and are basically just missing the reprapped parts. Since it's a major problem finding someone who is willing to print the parts and has not already a bunch of people waiting, we have been thinking of a repstrap design, and I think we are on a good way. We have many diferrent opinions about which way to do something or how to solve a problem, but I think that will help us very much to find a good solution in the end.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen